The 12 Hours of Penitence features a 17-mile lap that gains 2,000ft in elevation per lap. Nearly 80% of the course is intermediate/advanced desert single-track riding! There is a short hike-a-bike section if you choose to ride the Joker Lap through Penitente Canyon.
- Solo riders will achieve as many laps as they can within the 12 hour time limit.
- Duo and Trio Team riders will ride the course as a relay, having only one team member on the course at any given time. Once one team member finishes a lap, the next team member will start a lap. Slap bracelets will be used as batons.
- NEW DETAIL! The final lap, by all teams and solos, will have to start by 5:00pm. Bike lights are required for all riders starting their last lap after 4:00pm – NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Please note, we have eliminated the aid station near mile 7 on Sidewinder Road. There will be a course marshal stationed at that location but no food, drink, or supplies. The aid station near mile 11 at Witches Canyon will have food, drink, and some basic supplies. All Marshal points will have radios or cell phones able to contact race HQ in case of emergency.
Joker Lap Mechanics
- All solo racers and at least one rider from each team must complete a minimum of one Joker Lap through Penitente Canyon to be considered for podiums.
- All racers will be issued a Joker Lap sticker at the start of their lap (remember to get yours from the timing area before starting a lap). These are zip tied to the handlebar of the racer’s bike.
- Riders may choose to ride the alternate route avoiding the hike-a-bike section through Penitente Canyon, but a 25 minute time penalty will be added to the lap time.
- Joker lap stickers will be removed from racer’s bike if they choose to ride the alternate lap. Please stop at the marshal station for sticker removal.
- Any racers finishing a lap without the Joker Lap sticker on their handlebars will be considered an alternate lap rider.